- 1 pound small common store mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 celery sticks - (to 4) sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 green onions - (to 5) cut lengthwise
- into 1" strips
- 1 small jar pimientos drained, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon capers drained
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 garlic clove crushed
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Lettuce leaves
Dip the mushrooms into a mixture of the water and lemon juice. Place in a colander to drain. Mix the celery, parsley, green onions, pimientos, capers, and mushrooms in a mixing bowl.
In a pint jar, mix the olive oil, vinegar, anchovy paste, garlic, pepper, and Tabasco. Pour this over the ingredients in the mixing bowl; remove and discard the garlic. Toss carefully, making sure to coat each mushroom, but avoid leaving a pool of liquid in the bottom of the bowl.
Serve on lettuce leaves in individual bowls.
This recipe yields 4 first course servings.