- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms - oyster, cinnamon cap, or shiitake cleaned, trimmed, and chopped coarsely
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 5 fresh basil leaves chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Use a large skillet to heat the oil. When the oil is very hot, but not yet smoking, add the onions and garlic. Cook over medium-low until the onions have wilted, which should take just under ten minutes.
Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to high and saute until the mushrooms are tender and all of the liquid has evaporated.
Remove the pan from the heat, pour in the Marsala, and return the pan to the stove. Continue to cook, stirring from time to time, allowing the wine to evaporate. This should take about three minutes.
Add the broth and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by about half. Add the cream and mix well. Take the pan off of the heat and add the fresh herbs and Parmesan. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately.
This recipe yields ?? servings.