Morels With Yellow Corn Grits, Okra, And Morel Juices
- 8 morel mushrooms
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup hot cooked yellow corn grits
- 8 whole okra blanched
Place the morel mushrooms in an ovenproof pan with 1 sprig of the thyme, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and water. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.
Remove the mushrooms and reserve the liquid in the pan. Pour the morel juices in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until reduced by one-third. Slice the morels in half lengthwise and fill 12 halves with the hot cooked grits. In a small saute pan, warm the okra in a few teaspoons of water and slice into 1/4-inch pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place a small amount of okra in the center of each plate. Place 3 of the stuffed morels on top of the okra along with 1 plain morel half. Place 1 sprig of thyme on each plate and spoon the reduced morel juices over the mushrooms. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil around the plate.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Wine Notes: A tangy Sauvignon Blanc from California provides refreshment for this preparation, as sweet corn flavors are well balanced by Savignon's acidity. We like the Babcock Eleven Oaks for its richness and balance. It also cuts through the viscous consistency of the okra. Some white Burgundy and California Chardonnays are also effective if oak is a background element.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon & Corn Chowder 4.5/5 (279 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (191 Votes)
- Halloween Candy Corn Cupcakes 4.5/5 (133 Votes)