Morel And Truffle Gratinee
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh morels cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan
- White truffle oil to taste
- 12 large fresh morels cleaned
- 4 egg yolks (try to get good fresh eggs)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 12 ounces clarified butter warm
- 1 drop Tabasco - (to 2) or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a medium=sized gratin dish with the teaspoon of butter. Combine the morels, shallots and garlic in a food processor and pulse several times to chop coarsely. Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and melt the remaining butter. Add the processed mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for two or three minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs and the parmesan. Season to taste with truffle oil. Cool completely.
Make a small slit on one side of each of the large whole morels. Stuff each mushroom with about two teaspoons of the stuffing. Press the edges of the mushrooms together to seal them. Once they're all stuffed, place the morels in the gratin dish. Pour the Hollandaise Sauce over the top. Bake in the oven until the top is golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with chives.
Hollandaise Sauce: Place the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Whisk the egg yolks together with the lemon juice until they turn a pale yellow and start to foam. Drizzle the butter into the mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. The sauce will emulsify. Season to taste with the Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Keep warm in a bowl over hot (not boiling!) water. (Makes about 2 cups of scrumptious Hollandaise sauce)
This recipe yields ?? servings.