- 1 cup peanut oil or light olive oil
- 1 pound chanterelles cut large slices (make sure they are dry waterlogged mushrooms won't work)
- 1/4 cup fine wine vinegar (or balsamic or fruit vinegar)
- 1 garlic clove sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch fresh herbs (tarragon, savory, oregano, or marjoram)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a sauté pan or skillet, heat the oil until it becomes very hot, then add the chanterelles. Toss them in the pan quickly for 3 to 5 minutes.
Combine all the marinade ingredients. Add the chanterelles and the oil from the pan. Marinate the mushrooms for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. This will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
This recipe yields 8 appetizer servings.