Beef Fried Rice
- 8 ounces flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- Pinch of white pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 TB peanut or vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cups cold leftover cooked rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 - 2 green onions (scallion, spring onion), finely chopped
Adapted from chinesefood.about.com
Add the marinade ingredients to the beef, stirring to combine. Let stand while preparing other ingredients (at least 10 minutes).
Lightly beat the eggs with the salt.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a preheated wok on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic. Stir-fry for a few seconds until aromatic, then add the onion. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes, until it starts to brown and soften. Add the beef and let brown briefly, then stir-fry until it changes color.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the rice, stirring and turning it over with a spatula to heat through and break up any clumps.
Add the peas and shredded carrot, stirring to combine.
Make a room in one corner of the wok and pour in the beaten egg. Scramble the egg and then combine with the fried rice. Stir in the chopped green onion. Do a taste test and add a bit more salt and/or pepper if desired. Serve hot.