Flambéed Lamb Kidneys
- 8 lamb kidneys
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound common store mushrooms* sliced
- 2 teaspoons shallots or green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup warm brandy
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
* Alternate Mushrooms: Shaggy Parasol Mushroom
Trim the fat from the kidneys and cut them into slices.
Heat the butter and oil in a sauté pan or skillet. Add the kidney slices, mushrooms, and shallots. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until the kidneys turn brown but are still pink at the center.
Add the warm brandy. Ignite. When the flames burn out, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in the dry mustard and heavy cream. Cook until the cream is hot, and serve over rice or noodles.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.