Banana Split Cake
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 2 1/4 granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Heat oven to 350 and grease and flour 2 - 9" round pans
2. In small bowl - combine the mashed bananas and lemon juice. In another bowl - mix the baking soda, salt and set aside
3. In a large bowl - beat the butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy - about 2 min. Beat in eggs until combined. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed after each addition. Fold in banana mixture. Divide batter between pans and bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
4. Place 1 cake on plate top side down and spread with jam. Add the remaining cake layer top side down. Chile while preparing the ganache
5. To prepare the ganache - place chopped chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl. In a small saucepan heat cream just to simmering. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes then stir until smooth.
Stir in vanilla. If necessary - let stand until slightly thickened.