APPLE PUDDING CAKE
- Recipe By : Family Circle
- Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
- Categories : Desserts
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- CAKE -- 2 sticks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 medium Granny Smith apples, cored -- 2 1/4 lbs
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter -- 1 stick
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring
Heat oven to 350. Coat 13x9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
CAKE: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Coarsely chop apples (with skins on) in a food processor. Set aside. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together both kinds of sugar, shortening and eggs until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour mixture, chopped apples and nuts. Scrape into prepared pan and smooth top.
Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until dark brown and firm in center when pressed with fingertips. Cool in pan on wire rack.
CARAMEL: In a small saucepan, combine both kinds of sugar, the butter, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Beat until cool, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in vanilla and rum flavoring. Cut cake into squares and drizzle with warm carmel.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : If short on time, you may use jarred carmel sauce heated slightly.