Cream Of Wild Mushroom Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 8 ounces trumpet royale mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Using a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for less than a minute before adding the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown. This should require about 7 minutes.
Add the brandy and bring it to a boil. Cook until the mushrooms are glazed, which should take about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return everything to a boil. As soon as it boils, immediately turn it down to medium-low and continue to simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat and puree it with a hand held immersion blender, or you can use a food processor. Place the soup back on the heat, add the cream, and return to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
This recipe yields ?? servings.