Nacho Stuffed Shells
Per serving: 370 Calories; 10g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; Dietary Fiber 1g; 32mg Cholesterol; 832mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
- Optional Garnishes:
- 12 ounces jumbo shells (32 to 36 shells) -- uncooked
- ¾ pound extra-lean ground beef
- ¼ cup oatmeal, raw
- 1 package (1.25-ounce) taco seasoning mix (no msg)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (16-ounce) refried beans with chilies
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese -- shredded
- ¾ cup mild, medium, or hot salsa
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Salsa (use your favorite jarred variety)
- Avocado, carefully chopped
Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cook up the beef in a large skillet until browned; drain well and add the oatmeal. Add taco seasoning mix and water; simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in beans and cheese. Cook until smooth and well-mixed. When pasta is done, drain well. Fill shells with beef mixture (1-2 tablespoons per shell). Combine salsa and tomato sauce in a saucepan. Cook until heated, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread ½ cup sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan that has been lightly greased. Place filled shells side by side on top of sauce; pour remaining sauce evenly over shells. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil; bake 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired.