Chicken Fricassee With Boletes
- 2 ounces dried boletes*
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 liter small onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken - (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs) cut into quarters
- 3 fresh tomatoes chopped (or one 15-oz can peeled tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tspn dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushroom
Soak the mushrooms in warm water for about l5 minutes. Squeeze dry and chop into small pieces. Reserve the mushroom liquid.
In a sauté pan or skillet, sauté the mushrooms, garlic, and onion in the butter for about 3 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon, leaving some of the butter in the pan. Set the mushrooms aside.
In the same saucepan, add the oil and sauté the chicken until browned. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, wine, and reserved mushroom liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.