Chicken Baked With Cream And Chanterelles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound chanterelles* sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots or green onions
- 1 tablespoon marjorum
- 1/4 cup dry white vermouth or dry sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 chicken - (abt 2 1/2 lbs) cut serving pieces, and skinned
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
* Alternate Mushrooms: Hedgehog Mushroom, Milky Caps
Melt the butter in a sauté pan or skillet and add the chanterelles, lemon juice, shallots, and vermouth. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add the cream and cook 5 minutes more.
Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook for 30 to 45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Baste occasionally with the pan juices. Adjust the seasoning. Add parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.