- 1 pound bay scallops
- 3/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 small hot green chili chopped
- 1/2 pound small firm common store mushrooms*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
* Alternate Mushrooms: Enoki
Place the scallops in a glass dish with the lime or lemon juice and cover. Let them stand 2 hours; drain.
Mix all the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and blend with the scallops. Add the oil. Allow to chill for several hours before serving (but not more than 12 hours).
Serve cold in cocktail glasses.
This recipe yields 4 first course servings.