Brown Sauce With Boletes
- 4 cups rich beef, veal, or poultry broth
- 3 cups full-bodied zinfandel wine
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or green onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound boletes* - (to 1) chopped
* Alternate Mushrooms: Shaggy Parasol Mushroom
In a heavy saucepan, reduce the broth and wine over high heat until it starts to thicken, then lower the heat and reduce to 1 1/2 or 2 cups. Remove from the heat.
Sauté the shallots in the butter in a saucepan. Raise the heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until most of the juice evaporates. Add the reduced broth and wine mixture.
To use this sauce with steak, deglaze the pan with red wine or brandy and add to the sauce.
This recipe yields about 2 1/2 cups.