Molten Lava Cakes for a Crowd
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
To make the whipped cream: Beat the cream using an electric mixer in a large cold bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons of the powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate while you make the cakes.
To make the cakes: Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Once the chocolate and butter are melted, stir in the coffee until smooth.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and powdered sugar. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Add the whole eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until the cakes are slightly jiggly in the center, about 7 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of each cake and transfer the hot cakes to dessert plates. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and dust with the cocoa powder.