- 1 pound fresh black saddle mushrooms* - (to 1 1/2) (or 2 to 3 oz dried)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 green onions sliced
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1/2 pound asparagus sliced small pieces
- 1/2 cup rich chicken broth
- 1 pound fettuccine or tagliarini
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
* Alternate Mushrooms: Black Chanterelle, Morels
If using fresh black saddle mushrooms, drop the mushrooms into boiling water to cover. Lower the heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes; the mushrooms should remain slightly al dente; drain and discard the water. There is no need to soak dried black saddle mushrooms.
Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the ham and sauté briefly. Then add the asparagus and broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Cook the pasta in a large amount of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Add the ham and asparagus mixture to the pasta along with the mushrooms and half and half. Cook over low heat until heated through.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.