Wild Mushroom Salad With Barley And Bacon
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups prepared Aromont Mushroom Stock hot
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms de-stemmed, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
- 1 pound endive
- 1 pound smoked bacon
- 3 ounces red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place a large saucepan over medium heat and saute the shallots and garlic in the butter until translucent. Add the barley and stir well. Add the mushroom stock and bay leaf, then simmer for about 20 minutes. The liquid should be absorbed and the barley should be tender. Permit the barley to cool.
Slice the endive and set it aside with the mushrooms. Dice the bacon and saute it over medium high heat until crisp. Pour off the fat. Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar, then add the endive and mushrooms. Cook until tender, then remove the heat and add the parsley. Check for seasoning, then toss with the barley. Serve in a large bowl.
This recipe yields ?? servings.