- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (or 3 oz dried mushrooms)
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can tomato sauce - (15 oz)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or more
If using fresh mushrooms, cut into chunks; if using dried ones, soak them in hot water to cover for about 15 minutes, squeeze dry, and chop. Save the soaking liquid for the sauce.
In a large sauté pan or skillet, sauté the mushrooms and garlic for 7 minutes in the olive oil. Remove the mushrooms and garlic with a slotted spoon. Add the turkey or beef and cook for another 3 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Add the mint, rosemary, oregano, thyme, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, red wine, mushroom-garlic mixture, and the soaking liquid from the dried mushrooms if you have it. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. If you want a richer flavor, add more wine during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
This recipe yields 4 cups.