Graham Apple Crumb Layer Cake
Delicious apple layer coffee cake with a graham streusel topping.
- Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (or 2 whole graham crackers, ground in a food processor)
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp plus 1 tsp (1/3 cup) stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, halved, cored and very thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Garnish: confectioners'; sugar
1. Heat oven to 350F. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-in. baking pan with nonstick foil, letting foil extend 2 in. above ends of pan.
2. Topping: Mix flour, cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until large crumbs form.
3. Cake: In a large bowl with mixer on low speed, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt 3 minutes or until creamy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until blended. With mixer on low speed, add flour alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour and beating just until smooth.
4. Spoon 1/2 into prepared pan; spread evenly. Cover with 1/2 the apples, the remaining batter, then remaining apples. Crumble topping over apples.
5. Bake 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes. Holding foil ends, lift cake from pan to rack to cool. Dust with confectioners'; sugar. Cut in squares with a serrated knife and serve warm, or cool before cutting.
Planning Tip: Wrap airtight in pan and store at room temperature up to 3 days, or remove from pan, wrap and freeze up to 2 months.