Sweet 'n Spicy Louisiana Pork Roast
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground dried ancho chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs vidalia onions, root ends intact, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 lbs bone-in center-cut pork loin roast (about 8 chops)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl, combine brown sugar, thyme, mustard, allspice, garlic salt, chile powder and cumin; reserve. Toss onions with 2 T. oil; stir in 1 T. spice mixture and toss well.
2 Combine remaining spice mixture with remaining 1 T. oil; rub evenly over top and sides of pork. Place pork in large roasting pan; arrange onions around roast.
3 Roast, stirring onions occasionally, until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of pork away from bone registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour and 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle onions with chopped cilantro and serve.