Okra & Tomato Pirlau
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 3 ounces bacon, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic glove, chopped fine
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups okra sliced to 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup rice
- black pepper
- Country ham slivers (0ptional)
Cooking time 35mins
1. In deep pot, warm oil, saute bacon until soft but not crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside.
2. Stir onion and pepper into pot. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook until fragrant, but not colored, 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes and their juices, water and a pinch of salt. Increase heat and bring to a simmer. Stir while roughly smashing tomatoes
4. Add Okra and rice. Stir, cover and cook at a simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add extra splashes of water as needed.
5. Season with pepper and salt, to taste, Stir in reserved bacon.