- 1/2 pound mushrooms chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground ground pepper
In a sauté pan or skillet, sauté the mushrooms in the butter for about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until it is translucent. Cool.
In a mixing bowl, blend the eggs, milk, sherry, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms and onion and spread the mixture in a greased 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, then cut into squares to serve.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 appetizer or 3 or 4 main course servings.