Consommé With Mushrooms
- 6 cans beef consommé - (10 1/2 oz ea) with an equal
- amount of cold water
- 1 pound round steak cubed
- 3 large leeks coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon sliced without
- peeling into 1/4" slices
- 2 medium carrots quartered and cut into 2" slices
- 2 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms* cut thin slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Alternate Mushrooms: Boletes, Common Store Mushroom
Heat the consommé and water in a large soup pot. Add the cubed round steak and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and remove the scum. Add the leeks, lemon slices, carrots, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove from the heat and strain the stock. Allow it to cool. Discard the bay leaf.
Beat the egg whites lightly. Add them to the cooled stock and heat, stirring constantly. Strain the stock again, this time through a strainer lined with moistened muslin. The stock should be clear and a rich amber in color.
Sauté the mushrooms in the butter for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the lemon juice and capers. Bring the clarified consommé to a boil. Add the brandy and the salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat. Add the mushrooms and capers. Simmer for a few minutes.
Serve portions of mushrooms and capers in each soup plate.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 main course servings.
You'll also love
- .Shaggy Mane Mushroom 0/5 (0 Votes)