Strawberry-Cream Cheese Grilled Cheese with Salted Caramel Sauce
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into cubes 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 4 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 8 slices baguette, cut on a diagonal
- 4 large strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more as needed
To make the salted caramel sauce:
Pour sugar evenly into the bottom of a heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Start whisking sugar once it begins to melt. Whisk until all the sugar is melted, then stop whisking. When the sugar turns to a dark amber-colored liquid, carefully add butter and whisk until butter is fully incorporated. Remove pan from heat
3. Slowly pour heavy cream into caramel while whisking. Add salt and stir to combine. Cool caramel 10 minutes in pan, then pour into a glass jar and cool completely before storing (can be stored in fridge for up to 1 month).
4. Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and thyme leaves in a small bowl. Spread mixture evenly on baguette slices; top half of the slices with sliced strawberries, then top with remaining baguette slices.
5. Heat a large griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add butter to pan; swirl to coat. Place sandwiches on griddle and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown
6. Transfer sandwiches to serving plates; drizzle with salted caramel sauce and serve immediately.