Bistro-Style Chicken With Wild Mushrooms And Madeira
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs - (abt 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper divided
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Cooking spray as needed
- 2 pounds red potatoes halved
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake, oyster, and button)
- 1 cup fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and grated nutmeg. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake chicken, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over; bake, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken to a serving platter, reserving 1 tablespoon of pan drippings. Keep chicken warm.
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
Heat reserved pan drippings in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Drizzle gravy over chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Serve with potatoes.
This recipe yields 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 1/4 cup gravy, 1 tablespoon parsley, and about 1 cup potatoes).
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 526(29% from fat); Fat 16.7g(sat 5.9g,mono 6g,poly 2.7g); Protein 41.4g; Cholesterol 160mg; Calcium 93mg; Sodium 615mg; Fiber 5g; Iron 4.2mg; Carbohydrate 44.1g