Nutty Carrot Cake Bars
- Nonstick cooking spraysee savings
- 3/4 cupall-purpose floursee Flour All Purpose
- 1/4 cupwhole wheat floursee savings
- 1/2 cupsugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/2 cup sugarsee Sugar Pure Granulated
- 1-1/2 teaspoonspumpkin pie spicesee
- 1 teaspoonbaking powdersee savings
- 1/8 teaspoonsaltsee savings
- 1 cupfinely shredded carrotsee savings
- 3/4 cupchopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cuprefrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 egg whites, lightly beatensee savings
- 1/4 cupcooking oilsee savings
- 1/4 cupfat-free 2% Reduced Fat
- 1 recipeFluffy Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.2. In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Add carrot, 1/2 cup of the nuts, the eggs, oil, and milk. Stir just until combined. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool bars in pan on a wire rack.4. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Spread top evenly with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup nuts. Cut into 20 bars. Makes 20 bars.
Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Thaw 1/2 cup frozen light whipped topping. In a medium bowl, beat half of an 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened, with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in 1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt until smooth. Fold whipped topping into cream cheese mixture.
Use Sweet 'N Low bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 102 cal., 7 g carbo. Exchanges: 0.5 Other Carbohydrates. Carb choices: 0.5
Layer bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Cover; seal. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.