By Side Passion
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Combine the chicken broth, celery and all but 1/2 cup carrots in a large pot. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chicken, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cover and gently simmer, flipping the chicken once, until just cooked through, about 18 minutes. Remove the chicken to a cutting board; let cool slightly. Reserve the broth.
Meanwhile, combine 4 cups water, the rice, tomato paste, 1 chopped tomato and the remaining 1/2 cup chopped carrots in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low; simmer, covered, until the rice and carrots are tender, 15 minutes.
Puree the rice mixture in a blender until smooth; whisk into the pot with the broth mixture. Add the peas, heavy cream and the remaining 2 chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
Shred the chicken and return it to the soup. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice; thin with water if needed. Season with salt and pepper.