Turkey Sloppy Joes
Nutrition Data Yield: 4 servings (or 6 smaller servings) Serving size: 1 cup (bun not included)
Calories: 167 Fat: 3.8 g Carbs: 14 g Sugars: 7.8 g Fiber: 2.5 g Sodium: 387 mg Protein: 23 g
- 1 pound (454 grams) ground turkey breast (raw)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup natural ketchup
- 1 15 oz can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (See Skinny Ms. approved brands here)
- 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce (no-sugar added -Amazing Dad's & Organicville recommended brands)
- 1-2 packets stevia (optional, if you want to make it on the sweeter side)
Mist a skillet with oil and brown raw turkey, onions and green pepper over medium heat. (You could skip this step, but you will get a better flavor.)
Place turkey meat, onions & green pepper in the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours. If you don't brown the meat first, then cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Serve with a whole grain bun, toasted. Pictured is an Ezekiel hamburger bun . For gluten free, my favorite is Udi's gluten free whole grain hamburger buns .