Oven Braised Doves
- 12 doves
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 2 cans mushrooms - (4 oz ea) (use fresh of you want)
- 7 tablespoons sweet creamy butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (if not use dry)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (low-sodium is best)
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste (add pepper during final stages)
Melt butter in heavy skillet till just melted. Brown the doves, do not overcrowd the skillet and cook slowly, you don't want to toughen the meat by cooking to fast. Remove the doves, and add the flour to the skillet. Stir well till it gets a little color. Now add the broth and the sherry. Cook till it thickens slightly. Add salt if you like and pepper to taste. (I love pepper).
Place the doves in a two-quart casserole, pour the sauce overall, and then add your mushrooms and parsley. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
If you can get some wild rice, then by all means serve it with this dish. Or even better, serve with a combination white and wild rice.
This recipe yields ?? servings.