Old-Fashioned Squirrel Stew
- 3 squirrels cut serving pieces
- 3 quarts water
- 2 slices bacon diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can tomatoes - (15 oz) drained
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen lima beans
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
Place the squirrels in a stew pot, add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat pulls easily from the bone, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Skim the surface of the water occasionally.
Separate meat from bones, and return the meat to the broth. Add the remaining ingredients, except corn, and cook for one hour. Add corn, and cook 10 minutes more.
This recipe yields ?? servings.