Goose Oyster Gumbo
- 5 pounds goose parts (legs, backs, wings, giblets)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- 3 quarts hot water
- 1 pint fresh oysters
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Cooked rice for serving
Parboil goose parts in water to cover until meat is tender and falling from the bone. Remove from water, cool, and debone.
Make a roux by cooking oil and flour in a big black-iron pot. Cook slowly over low heat until dark brown, stirring constantly.
Add chopped onion, bell pepper and celery, and cook until tender. Add salt, black pepper and hot sauce, then stir in hot water and goose meat. Cook over low heat in a covered pot for 1 hour.
Stir in oysters, onion tops and parsley, heat for 10 minutes and serve over rice.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)