Butternut Squash and Creamed Spinach Gratin
- 3 Lb Fresh spinach, stems discarded
- 5 Tbsp butter for greasing the pan
- 3/4 Cup garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp salt
- 3/4 Tsp pepper
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 4 Lb Butternut Squash, 2 large, peeled, quartered, and seeded
- 1/2 Cup finely grated Parmigano Reggiano cheese
If using fresh spinach bring 1 inch water to a boil in a 6-8 quart pot, over high heat. Add spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and cook, turning with tongs until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
Thoroughly squeeze cooked spinach to remove excess moisture. Then coarsely chop and transfer to bowl. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a 8“ skillet over low heat. Then cook onion and garlic stirring until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to spinach along with salt and pepper, nutmeg, and cream. Stir to combine. Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 F. Butter a 13 x 9 baking dish, not glass. Cut squash in 1/4” thick slices.
Layer squash and spinach mixture in dish, using 1/5 of squash with cheese and dot with remaining butter. Cover with parchment or waxed paper. Bake until squash is tender and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes.
Remove paper and bake until browned in spots 10 to 15 minutes.
Can be assembled 1 day ahead but not baked. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
You'll also love
- Apple Crisp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Pot Roast Pressure Cooker 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Deluxe Cherry Cheesecake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baja Chicken with Black Bean and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Broccoli Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach and Artichoke dip 0/5 (0 Votes)