Madrid Chicken and Potatoes
While many Spanish dishes are paired with rice, the potatoes in this dish absorb all the great flavores of paprika, sherry and chorizo sausage as they cook for a wonderful and uniquie taste experience.
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 (about 2 lbs)chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1/3 lb chorizo sausage
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
Preparation time 8mins
Cooking time 29mins
1. In small dish, combine paprika and salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over chicken pieces. In large pot over medium high, heat oil. Add chicken and brown on first side, 2 mins. Turn and brown second side, 2 mins.
2. Meanwhile, peel and dice onion. slice chorizo into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Mince garlic.
3. Remove chicken to plate. Add onion, chorizo and garlic to pot and cook, stirring. 1 mins Stir in tomatoes, sherry and bay leaves. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered.
4. Place potatoes and 1 tbsp water in small, microwave safe dish and cover with vented plastic. Microwave the potatoes on HIGH until fork tender, about 5 mins.
5. Transfer potatoes to pot and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 mins. Transfer to platter, remove pay leaves and serve.