Applesauce Cookies - In a Jar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
1. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda - stir well. Place flour mixture in a clean mason jar. Pack down tight so everything will fit in the jar. (Use a spoon or a mallet.) Add other ingredients, one item at a time, packing each layer down.
2. Put the lid on the jar and tie a ribbon around the lid. You can add a personalized label, if you wish. As an added touch, tie a wooden spoon to the lid with a piece of ribbon.
3. Print out the following instructions on a gift card and tape the card to the jar:
Whip 3/4 cup of butter or shortening until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup applesauce and beat until mixed. Stir in the ingredients from this jar until well combined. Drop teaspoons of dough on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 - 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.