Wood-Roasted Trout With Chervil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup chopped chervil
- 3/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons roughly-chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 boned trout skin on, and the heads removed
Light grill, using plenty of charcoal. If using firewood, add it, and let wood and charcoal burn for about an hour, or until most of the firewood is burned up. If using wood chips, soak them at least 20 minutes; then, add to the coals after they are completely gray. Let chips burn for 10 minutes. Move charcoal and wood to one side of grill for indirect grilling.
Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette. In a blender, puree chervill, parsley, shallot, lemon juice, and vinegar with 1/2 cup olive oil. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, and stir in remaining oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle inside of trout with remaining salt and pepper to taste. Spoon about half of the vinaigrette on trout, inside and out. Rub vinaigrette into fish. Cover trout, and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
Spray one side of a 15 inch-square piece of foil with cooking spray. Cover the side of grill that has no charcoal underneath with the foil, sprayed-side up. Place fish on foil, and cover grill. Check fish after 10 minutes. (It does not have to be turned.) It's done when flesh is opaque and skin is crisp. Serve immediately, with remaining vinaigrette as sauce.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Grilled Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (128 Votes)