"These are very good, light and airy. The colors are great for the holidays."
- 2 egg whites--room temp.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Splash of peppermint extract.(other flavours will work,too.)1/2 tsp.
- Touch of food colouring for year-round holidays'
- The more sugar you add, the crispier they become.
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Or parchment paper works GREAT!
In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks.
Drop by spoonfuls 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy over the cookies. Best to cut the corner off of a baggie.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours in preheated oven. Meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown.
Turn off oven. Keep oven door ajar, and let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. About an hour. Add sprinkles at this point.
Loosen from foil with metal spatula. Store loosely covered in cool dry place for up to 2 months.