Venison Pot Roast II
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds big game - (to 3)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can condensed French onion soup - (10 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup water, broth, or wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rutabaga peeled, and cut into 1" cubes
- 4 medium carrots - (to 6) cut 2" pieces
- 3 celery stalks cut 2" pieces
Select a chuck roast or comparable cut for this recipe.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large plastic food storage bag, combine flour, basil, marjoram, thyme, salt, and pepper: shake to mix. Add meat; shake to coat.
In Dutch oven brown meat on both sides in oil. Add remaining flour mixture, soup, water, and bay leaf. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; cover. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Add rutabaga, carrots and celery. Recover. Bake until meat and vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.