Sweet Noodle Kugel with Dried Cherries
Noodle kugel is a traditional Jewish recipe served for dessert or as a side dish. Although it's made with cottage cheese, it develops a custardy texture as it bakes slowly in a ceramic dish. Corn flakes and pecans add a beautifully crunchy topping to this creamy noodle dish. Make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of your festive party or gathering and save yourself some time in the kitchen.
- 1 (16-ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 3/4 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs, beaten, plus 2 large egg yolks, divided
- 3/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the baking dish
- pinch of salt
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the egg noodles until al dente. Drain the noodles, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the chopped sour cherries to the reserved cooking water and let stand for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the cottage cheese, beaten eggs, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla seeds. Drain the dried cherries and add them to the bowl. Stir in the noodles. Pour the noodle mixture into a 9x13-inch greased ceramic baking dish.
In another bowl, toss the crushed corn flakes with the chopped pecans, melted butter, a pinch of salt, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar. Scatter the corn-flake mixture over the noodles and bake in the center of the oven for about 45 minutes, until the noodle kugel is set and the topping is golden brown. Transfer the kugel to a rack and let cool slightly before serving.
The noodle kugel can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and rewarm in a preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes or until warmed through.
You'll also love
- Bonnie's Orange Cottage Cheese... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pot roast with mushroom gravy 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Shortbread Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Ramen Noodle Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Macaroni Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thanksgiving Rye Stuffing with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Beef and Noodles 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Buttermint Ice Cream with White... 4.8/5 (16 Votes)