- 1 filleted salmon side - (2 to 4 lbs) skin removed
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh herbs chopped (dill, tarragon, basil, parsley or mix)
- 2 lemons thinly sliced
- 2 limes thinly sliced
Combine salt, sugar and pepper and herbs. Spread one-half of the salt, sugar and herb mixture over the bottom of a glass, plastic or ceramic baking dish. Place the salmon side on top of the mixture. Distribute the remaining mixture evenly over the top of the salmon. Arrange lemon and lime slices over mixture.
Cover with a double layer of foil. Put a board on top and about 4 pounds of cans or bricks on the board. Leave in the refrigerator for 3 days, turning the salmon and basting with the juices twice daily.
After 3 days, pour off the juices and pat the fish gently with paper towels.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
Lox-style salmon is actually cold smoked, but the smoky flavor is much more subtle than traditional American hot-smoked salmon. Gravlax is historically prepared with salt, sugar and dill.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Grilled Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (128 Votes)