Food processor or blender
Baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper
Optional: Dehydrator (set at the lowest setting)
- Nuts and seeds, soaked and dried — any combination of pecans, pistachios, walnuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds, almonds (10-11 ounces or 2-3 cups) — where to buy nuts and seeds
- Sea salt (2-3 tsp) — where to buy sea salt
- Filtered water —
- Egg, large, pastured (1)
- Coconut oil (2 TBS) — where to buy coconut oil
- Optional: Seeds, sea salt, chopped herbs or grated Parmesan for the garnish — where to buy sea salt
1. Soak the nuts and seeds overnight in a mason jar or bowl with filtered water and sea salt (1 teaspoon per cup) for 7-12 hours. (This can be done ahead.)
2. Rinse and dry them in a dehydrator, or on the lowest setting in the oven.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Put the nuts and seeds into the food processor and blend until it is a meal or flour. Do not overblend or you will end up with a nut butter. It should be the consistence of sand.
5. Melt the coconut oil.
6. Add the egg and salt and pulse until combined.
7. Add the coconut oil and blend.
8. Put the dough onto the Silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll it out with a rolling pin as thin as you can get it. Smooth out the edges.
9. If you like, you can decorate the top of the cracker dough with seeds and/or sea salt. Chopped rosemary or other herbs, or grated Parmesan would also be nice to add.
10. Use a pizza cutter to cut the size of crackers you want.
11. Put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes — or put it on the lowest setting in your dehydrator (and let them go until they are very crisp — they will come out crispier in the dehydrator). If using the oven, keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
12. Let them cool and enjoy!