Rio Grande Salami
- 4 pounds ground venison
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef suet
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped small red chilies
Mix all ingredients in a non-metal bowl. Refrigerate for 3 days, thoroughly mixing each day with hands. On the fourth day divide mixture into 5 parts. Knead and form into long, thin logs about 12 inches long.
Place logs on cookie sheet and bake at around 165 degrees. (Many ovens don't show temperatures below 200 degrees. Estimate and use your judgment.) After 5 hours, turn logs over and cook 5 hours more.
Remove from oven and roll in paper towels to remove excess grease. Cool, wrap in foil, and keep in refrigerator.
This recipe yields five 12-inch logs.