Pheasant Kathleen Salad
- POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 8 large fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 heads Bibb or leaf lettuce
- 1 cup crumbled Stilton blue cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 cup sliced peeled celery
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberry raisins
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 2 whole pheasant breasts
- 1/2 cup seasoned flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable salad oil
- 1/4 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
To assemble salad plate: Chill 4 dinner plates. Arrange clockwise on a plate: a nest of lettuce, sliced strawberries, blueberry raisins, celery, 2 tomato wedges. Set aside.
To prepare pheasant breast: Remove skin and bones from breasts. Cut each whole breast into 8 strips the size of your little finger. Roll in flour. Shake off excess flour. Heat oil hot in a skillet and sauté pheasant fingers until done. Splash with Worcestershire sauce. Remove to a warm plate.
Poppy Seed Dressing: Place all ingredients, except poppy seeds, in a blender container. Blend one minute. Remove from blender, add poppy seeds, and mix well.
This dressing keeps refrigerated up to two weeks. Always shake well before using.
Place cooked pheasant fingers in lettuce nest and serve with Poppy Seed Dressing. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.
This recipe yields 4 servings.