Homemade divinity is easy to make, and so sweet and delicious! This recipe requires a candy thermometer to make sure that the syrup reaches the right temperature.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white Karo syrup
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, broken
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Combine sugar, water and syrup, and cook over high heat. Do not stir.
When the syrup reaches 200°F, place egg whites and salt in a large mixing bowl and begin to beat.
Egg whites should hold soft peaks by the time the syrup reaches 238°F.
Slowly pour 1⁄ 3 of syrup into the egg whites and continue beating rapidly.
Return remaining syrup to high heat and cook until it reaches 265°F. Pour remainder of syrup slowly into egg white mixture and continue beating.
Beat until candy holds stiff peaks and begins to lose sheen. Quickly add nuts and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.
When cool, store in airtight container.
You'll also love
- Bulgogi Dipping Sauce 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Buttermilk Banana Bread 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Hurricane Punch 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Impossible Pie 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Perfect Pie Crust (from Ina Garten) 4.1/5 (47 Votes)
- Lemon & Almond Brittle 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Rapscallion Burger with Pimento... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Corn, Poblano and Cheese Tamales 4.6/5 (7 Votes)