From Family Circle, March 2012
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat a Belgian waffle maker as per manufacturer's directions. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Topping: Combine berries and granulated sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Waffles: In a large bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
4. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, blend buttermilk, 3/4 cup water, egg yolks, oil and vanilla. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
5. Mix buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Fold in egg whites. Pour 1/2 cup batter onto each section of prepared waffle maker. Cook as per manufacturers' instructions, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer waffles directly to oven rack in 200 degree oven. Repeat. Sprinkle waffles with confectioners' sugar and serve with strawberries.