Essential Summer Pasta
Seasonal favorite cherry tomatoes are the stars of the dish. Sauté a couple of pints with sweet onions and garlic, then add that goodness to spaghetti. Finish each plate with a sprinkling of fresh basil and a healthy dollop of ricotta cheese for a meal that’s simply delicious.
- 1 pound spaghetti (or other long pasta)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from purewow.com
1. Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving ⅓ cup of the pasta water.
2. While the pasta cooks, sauté the tomatoes: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and garlic, reduce the heat to medium-low, and toss to combine. Cover the skillet and cook until the tomatoes are very tender and bursting, 7 to 9 minutes.
3. Season the tomato mixture with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Add the pasta water and bring to a simmer. The mixture should form a sauce. If needed, add more pasta water.
4. Add the pasta and toss well to coat it in the sauce. To serve, pile portions of pasta onto plates and top each with 2 teaspoons basil and 2 tablespoons ricotta. Serve immediately.