14-Spice Dry Rub Mix
A spice blend with endless applications, this recipe also makes a fantastic gift for the foodies in your life. Make a big batch and share with lots of friends!
For a spicier blend, use hot chili powder (rather than mild) and more cayenne, cumin, black pepper. For a sweeter blend, increase the allspice, cloves, mace, and brown sugar. For a smokier blend, omit the sweet paprika and substitute all smoked paprika.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup seasoned salt (reduce to 1/8 cup for low-sodium version)
- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Adapted from theyummylife.com
Spread brown sugar out on a baking sheet for 1-2 hours so it can dry out and avoid clumping. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well mixed. Or, sift the ingredients into a bowl and whisk them until mixed. Store in airtight container.
Sprinkle dry rub mix on all sides of the meat (chicken, beef, or pork) and rub it in. If you have time, wrap or cover the meat and refrigerate it for 1 hour (or as long as 12 hours) before cooking. The fridge time will enhance the flavor, but it's also good if you cook the meat right away. Grill, pan fry, or bake the meat according to your preference. Also good for seasoning meat in slow cooker.
You'll also love
- Rub for Ribs - Kansas City 4.5/5 (8 Votes)