Best Ever Roast Beef
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 lbs) trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups plus 3 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed French Onion soup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
Cut roast in half. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add onion and 1 1/3 cups water. Combine the soup, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper in a small bowl; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from the cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mins. or until thickened. Serve with the roast.