Sicilian-Style Tuna or Swordfish Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless tuna or swordfish steaks, trimmed of any dark-colored meat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) or vegetable oil, for shallow fying and drizzling.
- 2 vine-ripened or plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- A small handful of basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 ciabatta rolls or other crusty rolls, split
Pulse the fish cubes in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and add the garlic and red pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Score the mixture into 4 equal portions and form them into patties of even thickness.
Grate the zest from the lemon. In a shallow bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of the parsley, the lemon zest, and panko. Press the burgers in the seasoned crumbs to coat them completely.
Heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook tuna burgers, turning once, 8 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly pink at the center. Cook swordfish burgers, turning once, 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the patties just before removing them from the skillet.
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 parsley, the tomatoes, capers, red onion, and basil. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Place the burgers on the roll bottoms and top with tomato relish. Set the roll tops in place.
You'll also love
- Fresh Herb Tomato Crostini 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Dr. Fuhrman Black Forest Cream of... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- WW Shrimp Enchilada Casserole... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Nova Scotia Lobster Chowder 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon (Like Outback's) 3.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tomato and Mozzarella Tilapia Bake 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Tuna Steaks Seared with Ginger,... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Ahi Tuna Tartare 4.1/5 (34 Votes)