- l large eggplant
- Salt (optional)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (optional)
- 2 eggs beaten or (egg whites)
- 1 1/2 cups Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 jar of your favorite italian sauce
- 2 cups low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Peel eggplant, and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle each slice with salt, and place in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes; drain well. Dip each slice in egg, and coat with cracker crumbs. Fry in a small amount of oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Place half the eggplant in a lightly sprayed (12 x 8 x 2 inch) baking dish; spread half the Italian Sauce over slices. Top with half the mozzarella cheese and half the parmesan cheese; repeat layers.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
Quick Italian Sauce:
Brown the ground beef in a skillet add the jar of Italian sauce